About Me

Rebel without a cause!

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Land of coconut trees

The last joke about roy's keralite antecedent got me thinking that I should write something about my home state too. Now I can't claim to be keralite because my only link with it is through relatives. So I am related to kerala. But as each wants to identify with something so by accident I too have to identify with kerala. I don't complain, infact I am very proud of that.

Now this is going to be a very biased view. So take all that is going to follow with lots of salt.

I think Kerala is one of the most amazing place on this planet. And for many reasons. It is endowed with some of the greenest land in the world. The sheer beauty of the place makes one speechless. And my favourite image which remains in mind forever is that of the advancing monsoon cloud over a lush green farmland which I saw once over there. I could literally see the advancing front of rain filled with large drops of water from the arabian see.

Apart from natural beaty for which it was selected by national geographic as one of the top 50 places of lifetime, it also fascinates me with the diversity. In many ways, it is a microcosm for india. For you can find almost all kinds of faiths and castes and social class of people. It also has a fascinating history which has still lot to be researched. Infact, even in history it has imitated India's own history. And what about the language, which is like a mix of sanskrit words with tamil grammar!

And it also has the curious feature of being almost at the level of the west in terms of social indicators like literacy, health and yet is one of the economically struggling states.

There are still a lot of things which remain to be said about this place and it is strange that I should feel so attached to a place where I have never been for more than a month at a stretch.

No comments: