About Me

Rebel without a cause!

Saturday, December 26, 2009

3 idiots and a message nuanced

3 Idiots was a good entertaining movie. Aamir Khan's acting was good as usual. The movie itself seemed to be a mash-up of 'Munnabhai MBBS' (Bomman Irani being the khadoos prof again), 'Dil Chahta hai' (story of 3 friends) and Kareena gave the 'Jab we met' touch.



The movie also tried to deliver a message, the most important one that I could figure out was that you should follow your passion and not get into the rat race. That was made explicit in the first drinking scene where the '3 idiots' are discussing each others weaknesses and ultimately the other 2 persuade Rancho (aka Wangdu) to fess up to loving Kareena's character.

Now, I believe that the message should be made a bit more nuanced. It is right that one should follow their passion and not just get into the treadmill of fulfilling other people's expectations but at the same time the tricky question is how to identify your passion. I find it hard to believe that everyone had one passion. And I dont even believe that all succesful people got there because they were passionate. Talents, skills also play an important role. So you might be passionate in something you do not have the talent which is not a recipe for success. But again i agree that Rancho also says that the purpose of life is not to go for success but to do things you enjoy. But I wonder if that message will not get across. Because the people hungry for success will interpret follow your passion as another formula for success.

But all in all, a great entertaining movie.
Give me some sunshine,
Give me some rain,
Give me another chance,
i wanna grow up once again

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

milieu said...

Thanks!
I hope that I can be more prolific but I like to retain my anonymity on the web too (atleast for now).
Will try to post and hopefully something creative and original.

PS: would appreciate if you could take some handle in ur comments (even if u wish to remain anonymous).
Tx.